Scoliosis – Treatment Goals, Approaches, Treatment in Children & Surgery From Best Hospitals & Top Surgeons in India
Treating Scoliosis in Children
Why You Should Choose World Class Spine Neurosurgery Hospitals in India ?
Dedicated team of International trained and vastly experienced Neurosurgeons, Neurologist, Physicians and Physiotherapist.
Latest Generation Diagnostic and Imaging facilities including dynamic digital X rays, Spiral CT scanning , MRI and Electro – physiology unit all under one roof.
Use of most advanced Surgical techniques for treatment of Brain Tumor ailments with focus on Minimal Access Micro Endo – scopic Brain Tumor Neurosurgery.
Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation by experts after the surgery help you regain functional abilities quickly helping in vastly improved overall results.
Scoliosis is about two times more common in girls than boys and those over 10 years of age. Scoliosis is hereditary in that people with scoliosis are more likely to have children with scoliosis.
Some severe cases of scoliosis can lead to diminishing lung capacity, putting pressure on the heart, and restricting physical activities. Request a Call Back
The SpineVertebrae. The spine is a column of small bones, or vertebrae, that support the entire upper body. The column is grouped into three sections of vertebrae:
- Cervical (C) vertebrae are the 7 spinal bones that support the neck.
- Thoracic (T) vertebrae are the 12 spinal bones that connect to the rib cage.
- Lumbar (L) vertebrae are the 5 lowest and largest bones of the spinal column. Most of the body’s weight and stress falls on the lumbar vertebrae.
Scoliosis SurgerySurgery for adolescents with scoliosis is only recommended when their curves are greater than 40 to 45 degrees and continuing to progress, and for most patients with curves that are greater than 50 degrees. Bracing is the usual treatment choice for adolescents who have a spinal curve between 25 degrees to 40 degrees — particularly if their bones are still maturing and if they have at least 2 years of growth remaining.
- Straighten the spine as much as possible in a safe manner.
- Balance the torso and pelvic areas.
- Maintain the correction long term.Post a Query
- Fusing (joining together) the vertebrae along the curve.
- Supporting these fused bones with instrumentation (steel rods, hooks, and other devices) attached to the spine.
Once the bone fuses, the spine does not move and the curve cannot progress. The rods are used as a temporary splint to hold the spine in place while the bone fuses together, and after the spine is fused, the bone (not the rods) holds the spine in place. However, the rods are generally not removed since this is a large surgery and it is not necessary to remove them. Occasionally a rod can irritate the soft tissue around the spine, and if this happens the rod can be removed.Refer a Patient
Approaches to Scoliosis SurgeryThe main type of surgery for scoliosis involves attaching rods to the spine and doing a spinal fusion. Spinal fusion is used to stabilize and reduce the size of the curve and stop the curve from getting worse by permanently joining the vertebrae into a solid mass of bone.
Other techniques are sometimes used, including instrumentation without fusion, which attaches devices such as metal rods to the spine to stabilize a spinal curve without fusing the spine together.
There are two general approaches to the scoliosis surgery – a posterior approach (from the back of the spine) and an anterior approach (from the front of the spine). Specific surgery is recommended based on the type and location of the curve.
- After making the incision, the muscles are stripped off the spine to allow the surgeon access to the bony elements in the spine.
- The spine is then instrumented (screws are inserted) and the rods are used to reduce the amount of the curvature.
- Bone is then added (either the patient’s own bone, taken from the patient’s hip, or cadaver bone), inciting a reaction in which the bones in the spine begin fusing together.
- The bones continue to fuse after surgery is completed. The fusion process usually takes about 3 to 6 months, and can continue for up to 12 months.
- This approach to scoliosis surgery requires an open incision and the removal of a rib (usually on the left side). Through this approach, the diaphragm can be released from the chest wall and spine, and excellent exposure can be obtained for the thoracic and lumbar spinal vertebral bodies.
- The discs are removed to loosen up the spine.
- Screws are placed in the vertebral bodies and rods are put in place to reduce the curvature.
- Bone is added to the disc space (either the patient’s own bone, taken from the patient’s hip, or cadaver bone), to allow the spine to begin to fuse together.
- This fusion process usually takes about 3 to 6 months, and can continue for up to 12 months.
Treating Scoliosis in Children
Observation –Treatment for scoliosis is often unnecessary because most cases are not severe and the condition often corrects itself as the child grows. However, X-rays are needed every six months so that the progress of the curvature can be carefully monitored.
Bracing –If the curve of your child’s spine is more severe (with an angle of more than 20 degrees) or it gets gradually worse, a brace will usually be required. A brace cannot cure scoliosis or correct the curve, but it can stop the curve from getting worse.
Surgery –If the curve of your child’s spine is more severe (with an angle of more than 20 degrees) or it gets gradually worse, a brace will usually be required. A brace cannot cure scoliosis or correct the curve, but it can stop the curve from getting worse.Request a Call BackCase of 18 Year Old Female Scoliosis Patient Successfully Operated in at SafeMedTrip Network World Class Hospital in India.
How Can You Get a Free Expert Opinion from Top Spine Specialists in India ?
Please Click a picture of your recent medical reports and send to us by WhatsApp, Viber on +91 9899993637 OR
Your case would be reviewed by best Specialists in India and an Expert Opinion with Treatment cost Estimate shall be sent to you with in 2 working days.