Dr. Refai Showkathali
18 years of experience
FRCP, MRCP, MBBS
After finishing medical graduation in India, Dr. Refai moved to the UK for further training. His career in Cardiology was undertaken at World Class Tertiary Cardiac Centres like St.Bartholomew’s Hospital (London), Imperial College Hospital (formerly called as Hammersmith Hospital, London), St George’s Hospital (London), The Essex Cardiothoracic Surgeon Centre (Essex) and King’s College Hospital (London). He moved back to India after 14 years of specialist training in advanced Interventional Cardiology and practising in India for last 3 yrs. He is currently practicing in Apollo Main Hospital, Greams Road, Chennai.
He is currently holding the prestigious Fellowship of Royal College of Physicians, London (FRCP, London) and Fellowship of American College of Cardiology (FACC) and Fellowship of European Society of Cardiology (FESC). He is an Examiner for the MRCP PACES exam being conducted by the Royal College of Physicians, London. He also holds an academic title of “Professor” at Apollo Hospital Educational and Research Foundation.
Immense experience in treating all forms of cardiac illness such as Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Valvular Heart Disease, Interventional Cardiology such as Angiogram, Angioplasty (Stent placement), Device Implantation, Advanced Interventional Cardiology such as Rotablation, Chronic Total Occlusion (CTO) Angioplasty, Left main stem (LMCA), Bifurcation angioplasty, Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT), Transcatheter valvular interventions and device closures (pinhole procedures).
TAVI (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation) Fellowship undertaken at King’s College Hospital, London which is one of the high volume TAVI centers in the world performing TAVI’s from 2007. He has published extensively in the field of Cardiology with more than 50 peer-reviewed publications in reputed International Journals. Invited Faculty in various national and International conferences. He also regularly reviews manuscripts for national and International journals for publication.
- Valvular heart disease,
- Heart failure,
- Chronic Total Occlusion (CTO) angioplasty,
- Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS)
- Left Main Stem (LMS)
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Fractional Flow reserve (FFR)
- Intervention Cardiology, Consultant- Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road , currently working
- Intervention Cardiology, Consultant- MIOT International Hospital, Chennai , 2014
- Intervention Cardiology, Consultant- The Essex Cardiothoracic Centre, Essex, UK , 2013
- Intervention Cardiology, Specialist- East of England Deanery , 2007
- FRCP, 2017, Royal College Of Physician, London
- MRCP, 2004, Royal Colleges of Physicians, London, UK
- MBBS, 1999, The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University (TNMGRMU)