Dr Ramakanta Panda
Chairman MBBS, MCh years of experience Mumbai, Ind
Dr Ramakanta Panda is the Chief Consultant for Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery and the Vice Chairman and Managing Director of the Asian Heart Institute, Bandra-Kurla Complex in Mumbai. Asian Heat Institute is the brain child of Dr Ramakanta Panda.
A Padma Bhushan awardee, Dr Ramakanta Panda completed his MBBS from BJB College, Bhubaneswar and got a training in cardiac surgery from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. He further underwent a fellowship training at Cleveland Clinic, USA, under Dr. Floyd Loop – pioneer of Bypass surgery, followed by two years as an Associate Staff. During his initial days, he served as a Senior Registrar at the Harefield Hospital in the United Kingdom, and undertook training under Professor Magdi Yacoub who is considered as one of the foremost cardiac surgeons in the world.
Dr Ramakanta Panda is one of the eminent and famous cardiac surgeons in India and has performed over 20,000 cardiac surgeries. He is the go-to cardiac surgeon for high-profile celebrities and members of Indian Government. Dr Panda has successfully performed cardiac procedures on Manmohan Singh – the former Prime Minister of India, Tarun Gogoi – Chief Minister, Assam, D. Raja – Member of Parliament & Secretary, Communist Party of India, Lalu Prasad Yadav – ex Railway Minister of India and other famous folks.
Dr Panda has done specialization in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting using only arterial grafts, beating heart surgery, redo bypass surgery, valve repair, complex aneurysms. He is one of the safest heart surgeons in the world with a more than 99.7% success rate in bypass surgery. Dr Ramakanta Panda has many awards and recognitions to his credit like he has been honored with the Padma Bhushan – India’s third highest civilian award, Conferred the Utkal Ratna in 2015, Conferred with Degree of Doctorate in Science (Honorius Causa) from Utkal University, Orissa. He is also the recipient of the prestigious Rashtriya Samman for being one of the highest taxpayers during the assessment years 1994-95 to 1998-99, by the Central Board of Taxes, Government of India.
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting using only arterial grafts, beating heart surgery, redo bypass surgery, valve repair, complex aneurysms.
- CVTS, Chief Consultant- Asian Heart Institute, Mumbai , currently working
- CVTS, Senior Registrar- Harefield Hospital, United Kingdom , 1990
- Trained in cardiac surgery from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Completed his fellowship training at Cleveland Clinic, USA, under Dr. Floyd Loop – pioneer of Bypass surgery, followed by two years as an Associate Staff.
- Sr. Registrar at the Harefield Hospital, in the United Kingdom, training under Professor Magdi Yacoub, considered one of the foremost cardiac surgeons in the world.